CONTINUING education 

What is a CEU?

One Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is participation in an organized continuing education experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction. Certificates are all required to earn 2.0 CEU's during each two-year certification period. 

**Don't confuse continuing education units with continuing education credits (CEC), or contact hours. A CEC is a different form of measurement and is accepted by other certification bodies. Contact hours may not meet CEU standards. 

  • Attend conferences and events (i.e.NRPA Annual Conference, state conferences, etc.) that offer CEUs to its participants.
  • Academic credits can be transferred to CEU equivalents by taking the total number of classroom instructional hours and dividing by ten. For example, a 3 credit course that meets once per week for three hours for 15 weeks equals 45 hours of classroom instructional time. Divide 45 by 10 to achieve the 4.5 CEU equivalents.
  • Professional Service Experience Points (PSE) can be earned through service you provide to the parks and recreation profession (i.e. Committee Chair, speaking at a conference, serving as an accreditation visitor, etc.) For more information about the PSE program and form
Click Here  

Each credit unit is worth 0.1 CEUs with every 1.25 hours of instruction time and must be pre-approved by the CEU Accreditation Chair

**Activities not run through the APRA Program Committee will not be eligible to submit for CEU approval**

How to earn CEU's?

Who tracks my CEU's?

Individuals are responsible for keeping track of your CEUs and for providing documentation of them when applying for renewal. The NRPA Online Certification Center will assist you with tracking any CEUs obtained during your certification cycle.  NRPA does not track non-NRPA CEUs for the certificants it administers. 

APRA DOES NOT track CEU's - it is up to the member to track all approved CEU's in case of an audit.

The National Recreation and Park Association offers Certified Park & Recreation Professionals and Certified Park and Recreation Executives an opportunity to earn Professional Service Experience (PSE) Credit. Together with the traditional CEU or academic credit, PSE credits enable individuals to renew professional certification by utilizing their professional activities. PSE details and application

For questions or further information on national certifications, please email an NRPA representative by emailing or filling out the PSE application

What is a PSE? 
How do I apply?

How do I renew my Certification?

We all rely on certifications and training programs to help keep us educated on the best standards of practice along with laws that govern our ability to operate. These certifications come in all shapes and sizes: CPRE, CPRP, CPSI, AFO, etc. These abbreviations are symbols for certification and training programs that show a high level of dedication and achievement from those in our profession. 


CEU Accreditation Specialist for APRA

Franz Fuhrmann, City of Peoria

Only events run through the Program Committee will be approved for CEU's. If interested in submitting a program for consideration review this page and complete the form using link at bottom. 

Who do I contact and how do I apply for CEU's?

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software