Environmental Day at the Arizona Capitol
There are a lot of tough times ahead, but now, more than ever, we must pull together and work together -- and speak up! The 2017 Arizona Legislative Session kicks off on Monday, January 9th with the State of the State address by Governor Ducey. The Legislature will then be on its way until at least late April, if not longer, with plenty of opportunities for you to observe, learn, and advocate. Please plan to be a part of it!
For Environmental Day, environmental advocates from throughout the state, new and experienced, will be gathering at the Arizona State Capitol to meet with state legislators to express support for environment and open space. This year's theme is Protecting the Arizona We all Share. Come be part of one of our teams!
Environmental Day at the Capitol
Wednesday, February 15, 2017
8:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Arizona State Capitol Museum - Historic Supreme Courtroom
1700 W. Washington, Phoenix
Everyone will be part of a team with an experienced leader and will be meeting with his or her own legislators, whenever possible. You can come for an hour or two or stay all day. It is a great opportunity to learn more about the legislative process and the issues and to make a difference.
For more information and to RSVP, please contact Sandy Bahr at (602) 253-8633 or email@example.com
- Registration for Group 1 will be at 8:30am. Group 1 will be Phoenix area districts.
- Program will start at 9am – Overview of the day, talk about bills, comments from 1-2 legislators, break into groups and discuss lawmaker visits. Head to House and Senate for legislator appointments.
- Group 2 arrives at 10:00 am for registration
- Program will start at 10:15am – Overview of the day, talk about bills, comments from 1-2 legislators, break into groups and discuss lawmaker visits.
- Everyone head to the House and Senate for legislator appointments, committee hearings...
- News Conference in Rose Garden – 11:30am (This will be a youth-led news conference. Changemaker and Sky Island are interested. Kathy Mohr-Almeida volunteered to help coordinate the youth voices for the news conference. Stacey Champion offered to help coordinate the news conference. Sandy will set up a call with them and the students.)
- AZIPL gathering in rose garden – Noon – 12:30pm
- Get together in House or Senate Gallery – 12:30pm – 1:00pm
- 1:00-1:30pm floor introductions (Tentative, depending on legislative schedule