Three sessions will be offered for rangers, outdoor professionals, programmers and anyone dealing with customer service. Sign up for half or full day.
All Things Trails - Overview for Managing Natural Surface Trails
Claire Miller, Park Supervisor - City of Phoenix
Learning Outcomes: (8:30 - 11:30 AM) Approved for .3 CEU's
45 minute classroom session then attendees will move outside for about 1.5 hours and do some hands-on trail work.
Outside work will take place on the Javelina Loop Trail or Apache Fire Loop Trail (both are loops just under 2 miles round trip from Visitor Center where the classroom portions will be held). Meet at the visitor center for the classroom portion first.
- Learn key concepts of a sustainable trail system, how to recognize "problem areas" on natural surfaces.
- Learn about trail assessments/inspections, how to prioritize maintenance projects to identify trail maintenance issues.
- Complete basic trail maintenance activities, what tools to utilize and how to safely complete necessary maintenance activities
- Introduction to Crew leadership, how to prepare employees or volunteers to lead a crew of trail maintenance personnel in the field.
- Hands on session will take place near the facility after the classroom training.
Afternoon sessions will be a classroom setting:
Verbal Judo - Chris Kurtzhals, City of Glendale
Learning Outcomes: (1:00 - 2:15 PM) Approved for .1 CEU's
- Learn and recognize key words
- Learn What Never to Say
- Non-Verbal Clues and Techniques
- Stop Verbal Attacks in Their Tracks
Nature Based Programming - Maricopa County Parks
Learning outcomes: (2:30 - 3:45 PM) Approved for .1 CEU's
- Create programs with lesson plans and props
- Helpful tricks when dealing with groups of all ages
- Safety tips when dealing with critters and cactus
Fees are based on the number of sessions which you register to attend:
Members $10 - $15
Non-Members $20 - $30