Professional Development

Check back frequently for various professional development opportunities available through the Arizona Parks and Recreation Association.

There are a number of different opportunities for member to attend various workshops, certifications and symposiums throughout the year.  Below are just a few of the things coming up this year...

Certification Courses

APRA partners with the National Parks and Recreation Association and others to conduct certification courses throughout the year. Visit our two certification pages to learn more and check the monthly Events Calendar for upcoming dates. 

Continuing Education Units (CEUs)

Anthony Garcia, City of Glendale, is the CEU Accreditation Specialist for APRA.  Below is the form required for members considering offering educational opportunities where members can earn CEUs.  There is also a link for members to petition for CEUs from other educational opportunities.
  • CEU Proposal Form (complete and submit if offering/hosting a class)
  • CEU Petition Form  (complete and submit if you have taken a relevant class that you can be considered for special approval)

What is a CEU?

One Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is participation in an organized continuing education experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction. Certificants are all required to earn 2.0 CEUs during each two-year certification period. 

**Don't confuse continuing education units with continuing education credits (CEC), or contact hours. A CEC is a different form of measurement and is accepted by other certification bodies. Contact hours may not meet CEU standards. If you have obtained CEC credits please download a CEU petition to convert to CEU’s here.**

How to earn CEUs?

1. Attendance at conferences and events (i.e.NRPA Annual Conference, state conferences, etc.) that offer CEUs to its participants. 

2. Completion of NRPA’s distance learning courses (without leaving your home or office!).

3. Academic credits can be transferred to CEU equivalents by taking the total number of classroom instructional hours and dividing by ten. For example, a 3 credit course that meets once per week for three hours for 15 weeks equals 45 hours of classroom instructional time. Divide 45 by 10 to achieve the 4.5 CEU equivalents. 

4. Professional Service Experience Points (PSE) can be earned through service you provide to the parks and recreation profession (i.e. Committee Chair, speaking at a conference, serving as an accreditation visitor, etc.)  For more information about the PSE program click here

5. If you, as an individual, are planning to attend an educational program that does not offer CEUs, you may request that CEU equivalents be awarded to you within 30 days of attending the seminar. For more information on the CEU equivalency petition click to download a petition here.

Who tracks my CEUs?

Individuals are responsible for keeping track of your CEUs and for providing documentation of them when applying for renewal. The Online Certification Center will assist you with tracking any CEUs obtained during your certification cycle.  A few – not all – state affiliates that administer CPRP certification maintain CEUs for certificants; you should contact your state affiliate to see if they do. NRPA does not track non-NRPA CEUs for the certificants it administers.  APRA DOES NOT track CEU's - it is up to the member to track all approved CEU's in case of an audit.

For questions or further information on national certifications, please email an NRPA representative

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software